Friday, August 18, 2006

Cucumber Salad

When I was growing up my family had a huge garden that produced dozens of cucumbers. My mother canned batch after batch of pickles, but she also made a refreshing cucumber salad many nights of the week during the summer. My step-dad called them "Slimy Pickles" but I think "Cucumber Salad" is a bit more appetizing, don't you? No matter what you call it, this tasty dish rounds out any summer meal. I've updated her classic recipe just for you. Enjoy!

3 cups sliced cucumbers
1/4 cup sliced white onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh or dried dill leaf
1 tablespoon milled cane sugar
3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise or soy substitute

1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss to coat.
2. Let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Stir again.
3. Serve immediately.
4. Eat up! This dish doesn't save well so lick the bowl clean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That salad looks great! Reminds me of my mom's cucumber salad.

Dori said...

now i know what I will do with the garden cukes on my porch. great interviews as always. :)