Thursday, December 28, 2006

Garlicky Greens

This isn't the traditional preparation for collards, but I like it much better! Here in the South, cooked greens are eaten on New Years Day to represent wealth in the new year -- especially green dollar bills. The more you eat, the more money that will come your way!

I'd love to hear about your New Years' food traditions from your family our your part of the country! Be sure to post in the comments section to share your story!


Garlicky Greens

1 bunch collard greens
2 tablespoons water
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt

1. Clean greens by removing center rib, trim and wash thoroughly.

2. Tear clean greens into pieces or sliced into ribbons.

3. In a large, deep skillet, warm olive oil over medium-low heat. Add half of minced cloves and saute for about 1 minute.

4. Add greens, water and salt. Toss to coat.

5. Cover and steam greens for about 10 minutes or until wilted and bright green.

6. Add remaining garlic, a drizzle of olive oil and cover. Cook one more minute.

7. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our family tradition is black eyed peas. The more you eat the more you prosper in the New Year. I haven't decided which recipe I will use, but it will be Vegan that is for sure. I do know that I am making some cornbread in my new cast iron corn on the cob shaped pan I got for Christmas!

Unknown said...

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; we have developed some nice practices and we are looking to exchange solutions with other folks, why not shoot me an email if interested.advertising | advertisement | production houses in pakistan | pakistani matrimony